Monday, November 05, 2007

Sunday 4th November 2007

We went to a housewarming come bonfire party last night. That kind of works; let's warm the house by lighting a great big fire. I don't know why more people don't wait to complete on their house purchases until a couple of days before bonfire night.

I reckon one of the guests must have been in the Boy Scouts when they were younger. When the fireworks started, they not only pulled out a paparazzi-style camera, but they also erected a tripod! Is it just me, or is that a little too prepared?

Tripod Camera Person: Hello Marge [partner of Tripod Camera Person], don't forget we are going to that party tonight, so we need to get a few things to take.

Marge: Oh yes, I'll get some flowers for the hosts, a bottle of red and a bottle of white wine.

Tripod Camera Person: I'll get a card from the shop, oh, and I'll also pack that really professional looking camera tripod in order to take pictures of the fireworks.

Does that not happen in your house?

I also played a short text game of Mornington Crescent with Simon (Yes the original challenger, to coin a phrase from Danny Wallace):

Me: Fancy a game of Mornington Crescent? Normal Rules, bi-laterals count double. I'll start by sacrificing Seven Sisters: tooting Bec.

Simon: I'm afraid that makes no sense to me. You should apply anyway.

[Perhaps I may have been talking about the project too much.]

Me: Sorry it is from I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue. A game where there are no rules. (you make your own rules up) your turn.

Simon: I take Pimlico and raise you a Cockfosters.

Me: Ah, you have been studying the Karpov Dilemma. Forward counts for three, and I have a community chest. So: Friern Barnet.

Simon: Predictable. Friern Barnet is a type 2 so I have to employ the Yuri Gargarin method. Over the river puts me in a bit of a fix, but I'm afraid it's whitechapel.

Me: Anyway, Mornington Crescent. (denotes end of game)

This is a very short version of the game. I recommend any more serious players to go to the Radio Four message board:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio4/F2766775?thread=4082448&skip=440&show=20

There is one game on this board that has been going on since April.

I have to admit that I am looking at the paper, and becoming a little disheartened. Most of the jobs on page ten have passed their apply-by date.

No comments: