Sunday, January 06, 2008

Saturday 5th January 2008

Dear Simon or Claire

I am writing following your recent advert in the Guardian dated 29/09/07.

You said that I could spice up 2007 with a career in media sales. However, it is now 2008; can this year be spiced up in the same manner?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards


Ian Carpenter

Lyric; Charity.

Meyer Group, National Account Manager APD 12/10/07.



Sunday 6th January 2008

Sundays are a great day for generally ruminating about stuff, and coming up with new theories on the way the world works. I bet that it was a Sunday that Charles Darwin landed in HMS Beagle at the Galapagos Islands, met a turtle, and thought about his theory of evolution.

Einstein probably had his initial thoughts about relativity, whilst watching the darts on BBC2, at around 6 p.m. on a Sunday. I mean, do the darts move relative to the bloke in the audience with a giant ginger wig on?

We all know that Karl Marx’s theory of alienation was thought up on a Sunday (Especially the bit about being alienated from species being.). How many times have we all felt alienated from our species being on a Sunday Morning?

Well here is my theory:

You know how a dog’s age is measured in ‘dog years’? My Nan and Grandad’s dog, Scratch, died when he was about 10, but this was about 78 in ‘dog years’. Well I think the same is true for premiership football players. It was only about two years ago, I’m sure of it, that Michael Owen was the new kid on the block. A child prodigy, 16 years old, and the best prospect in British Football. And now he is about 28 years old. How did that happen? I think that there is a new theory of evolution, called ‘premiership footballer years’.

I mentioned this to Nicky, and she thought that maybe we could expand on it a bit. We all remember Madonna hitting the music scene as a feisty 20ish person, and now she is an icon, and has become older than us, more quickly than normal humans.

So, I submit my new theory: the theory of ‘Celebrity Years’.

Maybe not.

Anyway, we had another power cut this evening. The new torch that I bought the other day when we had a power cut is officially rubbish. On the side of it, it claims to have the power of 3,500,000 candles. Admittedly it does, it lit the entire house from the kitchen. Sadly, only for about ten minutes. Then you have to charge it up again, which is slightly tricky when you have a power cut.

Other big news.

I mentioned on the 24th November 2007 that when you put guardianwork into Google, this little blog comes first in the list. Well I put guardianwork in this evening, and guess what? The Guardian Newspaper’s Jobs link comes up as a sponsored link. How did that happen?

No comments: