Friday, February 08, 2008

Friday 9th February 2008

I knew that this day would come, even when I originally took on the challenge. There was going to be a finite day when it ends. There are only a finite number of jobs in The Guardian dated 29/09/07, it has to end at some time. It could have ended last night. I chose not to end it. So it was with a heavy heart that I woke up this morning and realised that this may be it. This may be the final day of Guardianwork.

I went downstairs and we had run out of Douwe Egberts coffee.

Pants.

I had to drink the horrible Nescafé stuff that is there for emergencies.

I went up to have a shower, and guess what?

No shower Gel.

It was then that I realised the Nicky's genius supermarket buying strategy. Tiare flower and patchouli hand wash is a lot more useful when you need to wash than a packet of cheese and onion crisps.

How was I to know?

So here I am.

Thank you for submitting your application to join the Area Manager Training Scheme. We will endeavour to respond within 14 days of receiving your application. In the meantime, may we take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in Aldi.

The Yale University Press wants

'A Senior Publicist with one years trade experience handling your own books[.]

Production Editor for illustrated list including Pevsner Architectural Guides[.]'

Dear Katie

Did you realise that your advert was the last advert in the Guardian dated 29/09/07? Did you have to pay extra for that privilege?

I note that you are looking for a Senior Publicist. You have asked for one year’s experience of handling your own books. I do handle my own books, and have done on a regular basis. I like to categorise them into sections. For instance, I have a travel section, a poetry section, and a section for all of my annuals that I collect every year. My personal favourite is the Beano. I don’t think that the Dandy quite cuts the mustard.

You are also looking for a Production Editor. I would be grateful if you could provide more information on the Pevsner Architectural Guide, as I am not familiar with their work.

I have enclosed my CV for your perusal, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards



Ian Carpenter


That is it!!!!!!

THE END

It is all over.

I have done it.

I have applied for every job in The Guardian Dated 29/09/07. Well, apart from charity jobs, and some that had passed their apply by dates.

I am going to raise a glass tonight (sadly not Holsten Pils). I may even get the Champagne Parachute cork out; who knows?

Let's see what happens.

No comments: