Thursday, February 07, 2008

Thursday 7th February 2008

When I was at school, I played Rozencrantz in Tom Stoppard's Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. In the opening scene, I had to toss a coin and it land heads up time after time. We tried a double headed coin, a piece of wood, all sorts. In the end, we decided it was better to mime the coin tossing.

I mention this because Derren Brown produced a show called the System. During this programme, he tossed a coin heads ten times in a row. Apparently, it took him over nine hours of coin tossing.

I had cleared my desk of paperwork the other day and came across a two pence piece.

Having spoken about the Derren Brown Programme with Simon (The Challenger), I thought that I might give it a go:

First throw:
Heads.

Second Throw:

Heads.

Third Throw:

Heads.

Blimey I am really on to something here, I didn't need to mime all of those years ago.

Fourth Throw:

Tails.

Pants.

I nonchalantly tossed the coin to Simon to see if he could do any better. He was in the middle of a telephone call, so it had to wait.

First throw:

Heads.

Second Throw:

Heads.

Third throw:

Heads.

Fouth throw:

Heads.

Fifth throw:

Heads.

I am starting to take interest now.

Sixth, seventh, and eighth throw, all heads.

Ninth throw:

Heads.

I'm trying not to believe that this is happening. All of the throws were interrupted by various telephone calls.

The final throw was Heads!

Ten in a row!

It took Derren Brown nine hours of filming, and Simon had done it on his first attempt.

Amazing.

I applied to Sophie Macpherson with:

Dear Madam/Sir

I noticed your advert in the Guardian dated 29/09/07, with a feeling that I had just skipped a stone seven times on the sea.

You mentioned that experienced registrars need only apply.

Sorry, but I am not an experienced registrar, but would like to apply anyway.

Please find attached my CV.

I look forwards to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards


Ian Carpenter

The response was:

Dear Ian,Thank you very much for sending in your CV to Sophie Macpherson Ltd. I have passed it to my colleagues (noting your particular interest!) for review and should a position suitable to your interests and experience arise, they will be in contact with you.

If you do not object we will also keep your details on file for future reference.

If you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to contact us on 0207 636 9878. We wish you every success in your search and hope we can be of assistance.

Kind regards



Fantastic!

No other responses, so on I go with the jobs...

Aldi keep writing to me. Every week, I receive an e-mail for their area manager positions.
They now have an advert on the final page of my quest for:

well,

Area Managers.

Apply on line, so I did:

Dear Madam/Sir

I saw your advert in the Guardian dated 29/09/07.

I have applied for every other advert in the newspaper, but I have not had one interview, as yet.

I hope that your job will be different.

I look forward to your earliest response.

Kind regards


Ian Carpenter

Plantech were looking for an IT Trainee, apd 9/10/2007.

Media Contacts: Recruitment consultants.

The Chesterfield and North East Derbyshire Council for Voluntary Service & Action Ltd; Charity I'm afraid.

Although, their Acronym would be CNEDCVCSA.

It rolls of the tongue, doesn't it?


Norfolk Dance were looking for a Director; APD 29/10/07.

The final job...

Nearly six month's work and here it comes:

This is it, this is the end of the quest.

I can't do it now can I?

No, because question time is on. I will do it tomorrow.

No comments: